Close

Not a member yet? Register now and get started.

lock and key

Sign in to your account.

Account Login

Forgot your password?

WPS Reminds Hunters of Safety

15 Nov News

As hunters converge on the Northwoods to their cabins and hunting shacks this week, Wisconsin Public Service is reminding to make sure they are safe.

WPS advises that heating systems in those cabins, campers, tents or shanties should be carefully inspected to ensure proper working condition and proper venting. A build-up of carbon monoxide (CO) can result if heating equipment is not operating efficiently and not vented properly. WPS recommends having a carbon monoxide and smoke detector in each shelter, particularly where hunters sleep. Replace old batteries with new batteries in both CO and smoke detectors and be sure to test them to make sure they produce an audible warning sound.
Carbon monoxide buildup is the most common cause of fatal poisoning in the state.

Other safety tips offered by WPS include checking chimneys and vents that can get plugged by animal or bird nests, leaves or snow and ice.
Small propane heaters and stoves, kerosene, wood burning and charcoal grills will also produce CO when not vented properly.

Hunters also should not shoot near power lines or electrical equipment or substations. A stray shot can cause damage and potentially interrupt electrical service to an area.

Portable electrical generators that use a gasoline engine should never be used inside your residence or garage, even if doors and windows are open. Most manufacturers suggest using portable generators more than 20 feet from your residence.