Close

Not a member yet? Register now and get started.

lock and key

Sign in to your account.

Account Login

Forgot your password?

Fire at Merrill Duplex on Friday

17 Dec News

A Merrill duplex suffered heavy smoke damage following a fire Friday afternoon.

Crews were called to the duplex on Sturdevant St. at around 2:15. Upon arrival, firefighters discovered light smoke coming from the building. They encountered a hole in the floor but were able to access the basement to finish extinguishing the fire.

No one was home at the time, but the family did lose an animal in the fire. A preliminary investigation indicates the fire started in the flooring near a dryer vent.

According to a news release, a neighbor thought she may have seen smoke earlier but didn’t call 9-11. Captain Mike Drury said, “Please don’t hesitate to call 911 if you think someone’s house may be on fire. We are here for the safety of the community.”

This was the first structure fire for the fire department’s new fire engine, put in service this past Wednesday.

The Merrill Fire Department once again has a lighted wreath at station number 1 and are replacing a green bulb with a red one for each fire this holiday season. They say this is the fourth red bulb since thanksgiving.