Close

Not a member yet? Register now and get started.

lock and key

Sign in to your account.

Account Login

Forgot your password?

Home Suffers Damage After Heating Element Fire

24 Jan News

A heating element likely caused a fire at a home in Merrill.

Lincoln County dispatched received a report of smoke showing from a mobile home at around 11:30 yesterday. The home was located on Pier Street. Several area departments provided mutual aide or stood by.

Exterior crews were able to remove a section of wall where the flames were visible to knock the fire down, while a second crew attacked the fire from the inside.

The homeowner’s son reported that a sewer pipe had frozen and he had set up a forced air kerosene heater to blow hot air onto the sewer pipe and thaw it out. They left the equipment unattended while they completed other chores on the farm, and when they returned from the chores, smoke was coming out from under the mobile home near the heater. The homeowner’s son attempted to extinguish the fire with two portable fire extinguishers prior to calling 911.

The homeowner contacted his insurance agent and fire will be under further investigation.